The research into gaming “experience” is still ongoing, and we simply don’t fully understand what a gamer is going through during intense competitive or casual play form a physiological point of view. There is however, little debate that professional gamers undergo an extreme amount of psychological and physiological stress during intense competition. Recent research supports this notion and suggests that eSport athletes, although not traditional, and at different levels, are still athletes from a mental and physical standpoint. This also suggests that even casual gamers undergo mild to moderate “total body” stress.
So, how can professional eSport athletes, aspiring professional gamers, and even casual gamers benefit from various interventions to take their game to the next level? Can supplements, specifically nootropics, or safe brain enhancing substances, benefit gamers in the short- and long-term?
The answer is still out there, however, if you break down the individual cognitive processes that gamers must utilize, and ultimately optimize to achieve success, you can still get a good idea as to what supplements may benefit them. We will also discuss what ingredients in Nureltro® have been shown to improve these different metrics in humans. All of the substances in this article and in Nureltro® for that matter are natural, found in different foods, and legal.
Core Cognitive Processes
Focus/Concentration & Attention
- These two states go together and are vital to the success of any gamer. Many professional and casual players game for many hours on end. With these extended sessions, it can be hard to maintain intense focus and attention over a long period of time. Focus is defined as your ability to direct all of your mental energy to one or several tasks. Attention includes an element of focus/concentration, but adds in the ability to avoid distraction. If you can hone both focus and attention at the same time, it will help you will be a force to be reckoned with, not only in the gaming arena, but in everyday life as well.
- 3 ingredients in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve focus/concentration: Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Phosphatidylserine, and Bacopa monnieri.
- 7 ingredients in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve attention: Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), L-Theanine, Phosphatidylserine, Ashwagandha (Sensoril®), Bacopa monnieri, and Maritime Pine Bark.
- Another key cognitive process for any gamer, alertness goes hand in hand with attention in that it is a heightened sense of attention. It is a vital component of reaction time and hand eye coordination, which as any gamer knows, must be as optimal as possible to be at the top of your game.
- 3 ingredients in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve focus/concentration: L-Theanine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), and Ashwagandha (Sensoril®).
Improved Mood (Motivation/Productivity and Anxiety/Stress)
- This cognitive process might not be as obvious as the previously mentioned three, but mood effects all of our day to day experience, and a positive mood is also important for any gamer. Controlling and stabilizing the high and lows of competitive and even casual gaming is very important and can give you the edge you are looking for.
- 14 ingredients in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve mood: L-Theanine, Coenzyme Q10, S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM-e), Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), Phosphatidylserine, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Ashwagandha (Sensoril®), Bacopa monnieri, Maritime Pine Bark, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate), Folate (Quatrefolic®), Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin), Magnesium, Selenium.
Advanced Cognitive Processes
Memory/Recall (Short- and/or Long-term)
- The importance of short-term memory for gamers is more obvious than that of long-term memory, but optimizing both is necessary for success. This is where the term working memory comes in. Often considered synonymous with short-term memory, working memory is more accurately described as a combination of short- and long-term memory, where both are accessed by the brain in tandem to support decision making and strategy. In other words, neither short- or long-term memory work in isolation, but must work in harmony to provide a gamer with optimal cognitive function.
- 13 ingredients in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve memory/recall (short- and/or long-term): Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), L-Theanine, Astaxanthin, Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR), Phosphatidylserine, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Uridine 5’-Monophosphate, Ashwagandha (Sensoril®), Bacopa monnieri, Polygala tenuifolia, Maritime Pine Bark, and Folate (Quatrefolic®).
- Every gamer (and human being) knows how important overall memory is to success. Whether it is learning and adapting during training or finding that pattern your opponent thinks you didn’t see during intense competition. There are several types of learning with the most vital for gamers being visual, verbal, auditory, physical, and logical. All are pooled together and used frequently during any gaming session.
- 6 ingredients in in Nureltro® have been clinically shown to improve learning/consolidation: Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), Astaxanthin, Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (ALCAR), Phosphatidylserine, and Algal Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA).
- Playing for long periods of time is mentally exhausting. Proper eating, sleeping and exercising habits are a must to keep your energy levels up during these extended sessions. Energy levels in the brain (and the rest of the body), are primarily fueled by mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, which generates adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Therefore maintaining, replenishing, and/or increasing levels of ATP is extremely important while . Substances or substrates that end up as ATP or increase its production of are great at maintaining or elevating energy levels.
- 14 ingredients in in Nureltro® have been clinically and/or scientifically shown to improve energy/mitochondrial function: Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), Coenzyme Q10, Astaxanthin, S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM-e), Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA), Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (ALCAR), Uridine 5’-Monophosphate, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCl), Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc.
Blood Flow & Oxygenation
- The brain has a high metabolic demand at rest, so imagine the strain that it is under during intense and even casual game play. The solution? In addition to providing the brain with enough energy and nutrients (covered below) it needs, you must also increase the blood and oxygen that is getting to the brain. The two have a clear association in that improved blood flow to any organ in the body increases the amount of oxygen that reaches it.
- 10 ingredients in in Nureltro® have been clinically and/or scientifically shown to increase blood flow & oxygenation: Citicoline (CDP-Choline), Alpha-Glycerylphosphorylcholine (Alpha-GPC), L-Theanine, Coenzyme Q10, Astaxanthin, Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA), Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (ALCAR), Algal Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), Bacopa monnieri, Maritime Pine Bark.